Talking About Language and Emotions at Home
TALES@home project aims to support multilingual families, helping them to create a favourable environment for language learning and well-being. This aim will be achieved by developing an innovative tool (app) for parents and their children to be used for language related emotion mapping within the family, helping to empower positive emotions and attitudes on a family level and thereby contributing to the improvement of well-being, social inclusion and language learning of the family members.
Addressing non-formal language learning in a multilingual home. More specifically, the motivations and beliefs in the family about language use and learning.
Empowering parents and by extension the whole family to manage language use at home and to create a positive and stimulating environment.
- Multilingual families.
- Professionals who work with adults, children and youngsters in a language learning/ teaching process.
- Professionals that are involved in improving intra-familial relations and the wellbeing of the individual family.
- Professionals involved with social inclusion.
How do we support multilingual families?
- By creating an open atmosphere in which decisions on language maintenance/shift are considered and are debatable.
- By reinforcing the mutual understanding between different generations so they are able to handle negative attitudes and reinforce the positive ones.
- A digital app to be used by multilingual families with the support of professionals.
- A user’s guide and film to sustain professionals with practical instructions for using the app.
- Training for professionals.
- International Conference Languages@home: empowering multilingual families, May 2018, Brussels.
- Better understanding of the needs of multilingual families concerning their language use within the family.
- Better understanding in language attitudes, emotions and beliefs about language learning in these families.
- Strengthened competences and knowledge of staff and professionals to sustain communication within the families about these topics.
- Sensitising effect on professionals about the importance of paying attention to language attitudes and emotion in the families as conditions for better language learning and wellbeing of all family members.
- Better understanding of the link between language - emotions and social inclusion.
The chosen approach is ‘User centered Design’ involving multilingual families and professionals throughout the whole project.